Sunday, January 29, 2012

Who do I talk to about unfair treatment from a public assistance caseworker?

I live in Chicago and I know that there are alot of people here take advantage of public assistance but I am not one of them and don't appreciate how I was treated when I requested cash assistance. I am currently going to school for nursing as well as raising my 2 kids ages 18 months and 3 years. My boyfriend ( the kids father) is taking care of the kids as well as his 86 year old bed stricken grandmother. ( he literally has to change her diapers and feed her like a baby, she is completely incapable of taking care of herself anymore. So, when I tell my caseworker our situation she tells me that either me or my boyfriend has to work 40 hrs a week at "work training in order to recieve cash assistance. If I had time to do work traing I would just get a job. If I have to get a job, I will have to drop out of nursing school b/c with 2 kids I barely have time for school as it is. And my boyfriend has to stay home to take care of the kids and his grandmother so he can't leave the house. When I told her this she said it was his problem that he has to take care of his grandmother... I know we have problems thats why I am asking for assistance. What does she expect us to do, thow her out on the street??? We can't afford to put her in a nursing home ,and we wouldn't anyway..we want family to take care of her, but we want to know if this is right what this caseworker is doing. Is this just one of those : "well, life isn't fair" situations or could I request a different caseworker...honeslty her attitude was offending and I don't think she was trreating me fairly. Thanks :)Who do I talk to about unfair treatment from a public assistance caseworker?
You should go above her head and speak to someone else about your case. I'm not 100% sure on the way the system is set up in the states, but I would think that attending nursing school should qualify as "work training." After all, when you finish, you'll have a viable career waiting for you, and will hardly be a drain on the system.
  • mediterranean diet
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment