Sunday, January 29, 2012

Moving from Texas to Chicago?

Some quick questions:

Money/School:

1. I was planning to get my degree in respiratory therapy here in Texas, but I'm concerned about whether I'd have to start all over in a new state. and what would it take if I did?

2. Is the state tax a lot? Texas doesn't have one, so I don't know what to expect from it in the workforce

3. Are houses more expensive? If so what is a ratio of buying houses in Texas and buying a home in Chicago, or a suburb outside of that?

4. How long do you have to be a resident in Illinois, for a public college or university so you can pay in-state tuition?

Culture: (These may seem a little insignificant)

1. Will my southern culture be noticed, or will I blend in pretty well?

2. Do they sell cowboy boots there?

3. Are there country radio stations you can listen to?

4. Is it ok to wave to people you don't know such as walking down the street, or seeing someone drive by in there car?

5. Is it ok to talk to smile at people you don't know and ask them how they are?

6. Can you see the stars at night?



I've never been up north and I hear that people aren't very polite and everything is so noisy. I also hear there is great food, so many things to see, and lots of history. Which is great for a vacation. But I'm really curious about all of the expenses and where would I stand in Chicago economically, and socially.



Thanks!



P.S. Not looking forward to the weather. I love Texas weather. Not a big fan of cold weather, which I know is inevitable there. :/Moving from Texas to Chicago?
In regards to your "culture" questions:



1. The cultural difference will be noticed, but you will will not be penalized for this unless you sound like some bigoted redneck, right-wing extremist, or Bible-thumper.

2. You can probably find cowboy boots at a few specialty stores, but NOBODY other than four year old boys wear them.

3. There is one country station at 99.5 FM.

4. I wouldn't do it. You don't know what kind of wackos might think you are an overly trusting rube.

5. It's OK to start up a conversation, but again, be wary - as you should be with any stranger.

6. Usually not: too much light pollution from city lights.Moving from Texas to Chicago?
A country girl living a city life,? You should document that. Buy your clothes off line. Don't get too friendly. They can be reckless %26amp; mean. You'll stick out like a sore thumb. They'll know you're not from there. Just be careful like wise its fun but remember don't get too friendly
  • nyc restaurant week
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment