Thursday, February 23, 2012

What is a good way to practice my short game in the winter?

My high school golf tryouts are in early March. I have an exceptional long game, but my short game is very inconsistent. Any tips that could help me practice my short game this winter?What is a good way to practice my short game in the winter?Putt around your house. I putt on my carpet all the time, but I have also putted on wood floors and in the basement. Putting is really about getting the ball on the right line.

I have also chipped balls into the couch, and tried little flops and short pitches in the house, just don鈥檛 let your Mom catch you, my wife hates it!|||I would focus on mechanics while putting and chipping in and around the house. Focus stroking those 3, 4 and 5 footers. I use a coaster as my hole. It's actually a little smaller. I chip into my recliner sometimes. I just focus on making good contact. No flopping, high or low. Just contact.What is a good way to practice my short game in the winter?just lay a cup on its side and try puttin a ball into it..... for chipping go buy some of those soft practice balls or the ones that look like wiffle balls and chip the around|||It`s winter here too,but you have a way to practice like I do.

I want to a Golf simulator. It was really great.You can practice every club.

Driver,hybrid and Irons.

U can putt too, but it is complected.What is a good way to practice my short game in the winter?If you have short carpet in your house that is the best place I have found

to practice putting. I know its flat it doesn't really matter because you want to focus on making good contact, and hitting it where you aim. I hit at a coaster you can use anything sometimes I try to hit another ball.You can't practice speed because the greens at the golf course will be different from day to day ( So get there early for tryouts and hit the practice green that day to see how the ball is rolling). For chipping I put out buckets ( or my wife's flower pots) in the yard and try to hit the ball in. Just remember on a green that's not were the ball will end you want to look at it like, where do you want the ball to land.



Hope I helped good luck at tryouts.



Stew|||You can chip using plastic balls indoors. I do it all the time. Hopefully your parents won't get too upset. I chip to a leg on my end table and I also putt to it as well. If you can read greens well, putting is more about speed and the line. I rarely practice on a putting green anymore. I only putt on a putting green to gauge the speed of the greens before I play.|||The most useful indoor practice is short putts. I read an article quite some time time ago in Golf Digest about Calvin Peete, and it has worked well for me over the years. To gain confidence on short putts, he would practice 4-5 footers on carpet and putt to the end of a 2x4 piece of wood. The end of a 2x4 is 3-1/2" wide, and when the ball hits that piece of pine, it makes a very cool "doink" noise. When you practice these short putts, keep your head still and wait to hear the noise before looking up.



If your carpet is just not the right kind for putting, you can buy a small practice green at your golf shop for under $30. Good luck with your tryouts. When you get to the real practice greens on the golf course, don't putt to the cups. Put a tee in the ground and put to that, instead. You will become focused.|||same way as you practice short game in the summer, just with a jacket on|||i do practice the same as mike .



cheese



phua D|||find an indoor practice area|||I usually go to the PGA Tour Superstore during the winter to practice driving, irons, short game and putting. The store has several game improvement areas with a large putting area (free), short game area with sand trap (free) and many golf simulators you can reserve for a fee. Contact your local PGA Tour Superstore for prices and directions.



Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment